Tuesday, September 18, 2007

This Must Be What It's Like

Yeah, of course. now that the deadline has passed response cards are just flooding in. figures. we would not accomplish anything in this world if it weren't for the last minute. me included:
i called the marriott on Friday and talked to one of the receptionist "i think i need to cancel my block of rooms because my understanding is that if i don't use them all then we will be charged for them."
"well, ma'am i don't know the specifics of your contract you probably worked it out with mark. ."
"yes, yes, that's right. i did."
"well, i'll leave a message for him that you would like to cancel the remaining rooms."
"thanks."

In an ideal world i would have asked to speak to Mark or sent Mark an e-mail via the brand new, ultra cool internet that allows me to "talk" to people without actually talking. OR this is even better, i would have pulled the contract out of my wedding planner and actually read the fine print. . .

Regardless, i would have followed up like the responsible adult i am. . . . supposed to be.

Enter Tuesday afternoon with my legs thrown over the back of the couch watching a Netflix of Will & Grace trying to push the nagging feeling that i really should check on that hotel contract because i can explain a lot of different credit card charges to N but how in the world would i explain 8 rooms with tax?! So after letting my lean cuisine digest for a little bit i finally walked the 3 steps over to the wedding planner, pulled open the tab with the contracts and found said contract in less than 30 seconds.

After reading the fine print and realizing that the deadline had passed and that cancellations needed to be received in writing i realized i was shit up a river and finally needed to actually communicate with my contact at Marriott. So i used the new technology to send the e-mail and got a response within a matter of minutes that answered all my questions.

AND I PROCRASTINATED FOR ALL THAT? For exactly 5 minutes out of my 24 hour day?

This could have ended badly, but it didn't.

But i learned that my very own organizational skills deemed necessary by this wedding really does pay off.

So THIS is what it's like to be organized? It actually does take less time to accomplish tasks and it doesn't come with the inevitable stomach ache.

Nice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can relate to this SO well! Glad it worked out in the end.