Tuesday, December 18, 2007

What The . . . ?

I'm not so angry about standing in line at the Post Office for an hour, but I am fuming that they refuse to "accept" unsigned credit cards. It didn't matter that I had my ID with me. They still wouldn't accept it. So I finally relented and signed the damn card and handed it to her. She then actually had the nerve to ask for my ID.

Once I had taken a deep breath and told myself that the Post Office's policies were not the work of the woman standing in front of me, I asked her if she knew why that policy was in place. "I don't know," she said "they've never told us."

Awesome. I love GREAT ideas that have no explanation attached to them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you want the real technical explanation, credit cards that are not signed are not valid. I'm sure it doesn't say that on the card but if you read the pages of tiny print that make up the credit card agreement it's in there somewhere. (they are also not valid if you write SEE ID instead of signing it). So it isn't really a Post Office policy at all. I only know this from working at places with credit card machines!

AH said...

I had this happen once at a store--the woman yelled at me like I was her 4yr old (in front of my mom and grandma)--and what made me realize how dumb the whole thing was, she watched me sign it and then accepted it. DUH!!! If it had been a stolen card, and I just signed it in front of her, of course the signature on the receipt wil match it!! Morons!