Thursday, August 2, 2007

Ignorance Is Bliss & So Is Animal Planet At 7am

I have found that there are alternative ways to wake up in the morning. i don't need an alarm clock, i don't need the smell of coffee to lull me from my dreams or the voices of free beer & hot wings @ 5.30 in the morning. i don't need sweet kisses from my boyfriend or my dog (depending on my geographic location).

All i need is Animal Planet at 7 am. the quiet videos of other people starting their days. the sunrise over small ports, over coastal cities. i just need images of a kayak moving slowly through the ocean drowned in the morning light. i just need to watch small fishing ships load up their vessels with crab traps and hear the hum of engines and the songs of the sea gulls overhead. at that hour you don't want to think about crises around the world via CNN, hear the voice of a used car salesman during commercial breaks, or try to muddle through the drama of Law & Order, or the laughs of Kelly Rippa at such an early and volatile hour.

i want to wake up and believe that all is well in the world, that everyone rested as well as i. i need beautiful scenic imagery of the ocean moving in soft, rhythmatic patterns. i need the photo of an empty path through a winding forest. i need something peaceful that quiets me inside as well as out. that inspires me to open the curtains wide. to walk out the front door to an unpredictable world.

3 comments:

Thermodynamics said...

There are no rules for awakening. You are currently blessed with the luxury of waking how you want and when you want. Life doesn't get much more peaceful. I currently need to be awake and functioning at a certain time. That calls for using certain measures. Coffee and "Fox and Friends" are similar in that they are both bitter and like fingernails on a chalkboard in the morning. There are more pleasant ways to awaken but, none more effecient in slamming your mind into gear. Focused hate can be very effective.

I often find the most peace within myself when I stop and enjoy the world around me. I am glad that you enjoy it as well.

Anonymous said...

I had to wake up to an alarm today. So abrasive. One of the few joys of second shift is waking up when you want to.

Thermodynamics said...

I don't think that waking up when you want comes anywhere close to balancing the crappyness of 2nd shift.

Of course I might be biased.