Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Scraping The Bottom Of The Barrel

1. For the sake of this post, I just learned how to spell Barrel thanks to my beloved Dictionary.com. I thought it had 2 L's or 2 R's or both.

2. For the last 10 or 12 days i've had my period. yeah, good times. sign me up for this more often. please. It started with slight spotting last Monday, got a little heavier on Wednesday and hasn't stopped since. It's nothing if not determined. And the whole thing has totally drained me of energy, has been causing havoc on the innards and has replaced my usual sunny disposation with a rain cloud complete with thunder claps. I'm sure N is just loving the new me . . . when he asks how i'm doing he expects the socially acceptable response of "good" or even "fine" but instead he gets a woman who's eyes bug out of her head, her hair stands straight on end and says "take a guess?? i dare you. . ." My guts hurt. it flucuates between intense cramping, a constant pressure and the feeling that my insides are trying to spill out through my belly button. And when it isn't my stomache it feels like i've been hit with a baseball bat on my temple. Or if my head is not throbbing, i'm so exhausted i sleep the whole day away on the couch.

I couldn't be better. really.

3. I finally picked up the first Harry Potter book. Yes, i said the 1st one. Truth is i wanted to wait until all the hoopla was over. Till it just became a really good book and not a national phenomenon or pop culture icon. Unfortunately, i'm starting to believe that will never happen considering i happened to accidently step into Borders Books the night of the final book release. Good Lord, i was the only Muggle in the whole store. It instantly transported me the most horrific memory of working until midnight at B&N to satisfy some kid's fix. They would come to my with drug crazed eyes asking when exactly the book would be released (midnight), what happened in it (i don't know kid, just because i work at this god forsaken place doesn't mean i am privillaged enough to read books that haven't even been released. I'm a cashier. Not J.K Rowling's editor), and what character i would be if i could (myself. that's why you don't see me dressed in big round glasses and a cape).

But i finally can say that i've made peace with all the hoopla. Have accepted it for what it is. And am REALLY enjoying the book.

4. One good thing came out of the broken camera. N's looking forward to getting a new, more improved one next. And i've already told myself to keep my accident prone hands off it.

5. Released a little over a year ago and i recently just bought the entire album. Corrinne Bailey Rae/Self Titled. Excellent. Pick it up.

No comments: