Friday, January 11, 2008

An Open Letter To The Universe:

Yeah, ok, I get it already. Your trying to teach me the attributes of resilency, of a tough skin, of the ability to bounce back and the importance of flexibility. I understand what you're trying to teach me and apparently I needed to learn those things. I just have once complaint: Do all these life lessons have to happen in the span of 1 week?

I guess you don't quite understand how entirely broken i've felt lately. Add to the list haggard, tired, weak, worn, completely exhausted and maybe a little bit insane and you have an accurate picture of how i've been feeling. And yet, without fail you keep bringing the punches like a professional boxer. But believe me, i'm down and the referee has counted to 3 and i've still made no attempt to get up.

In other words. You win.

And yet I have this dreadful feeling that you're not through yet. Instead as you keep throwing the punches you'll offer up some semi-philosophichal bullshit to answer the age-old question: why when it rains does it pour? You'll say that humanity learns better when they've already been thrown to the ground; that we're more willing to pay attention; to learn the lessons; to negotiate a different plan; to implement change. Of course, you'll cite examples and drop phrases like "rock bottom" and "rehabilitation."

And in case you weren't already aware, you have my full attention. I've been hit by both sides and have sought shelter in a bunker only to be hit again. And this last week, this last month, this last year as a matter of fact, has been nothing short of one big lesson plan.

But I would like to state for the record that i have approximately 60 years (give or take a little) of life left to live, so would it kill you to give me a chance to catch my breath before you side-swipe me again? How about we spread these life lessons out a little more than one-a-day?
That'd be great.

Thank you,
LTR

No comments: