Monday, July 9, 2007

Community

at first i was hesitant to publish the ah hah post. i was going to come home and crawl under my covers where i would write over tear stained paper. but for some unknown reason i wanted to publish online. in the back of my head i kept asking myself why in the world i would want to announce my faults and insecurites to the general public, let alone those who are closest to me and thus read this blog? why would anyone want to expose themselves in such a vulnerable way?

maybe it was simply a matter of recognition. if i have to annouce the problem maybe i will have a greater tendency to recognize it, change it and be held accountable to it. maybe the closest people in my life will become my closest allies as well, stopping me when they see me falling into the terrible old habit of "pleasing".

but i didn't expect it to really happen. i didn't expect everyone to jump into the comments section and say "we support you" "we hear you" "we've been there ourselves".

AH recently wrote a very inspirational post about the power of 1. if one person can make a difference than we will slowly move towards a better world. and there are an abundance of ways to do so. some have chosen an untraditional method of parenting to bring up well adjusted children, others support the local ecomony, others still choose hybrids & build compost piles.

i may or may not do any of the above, but i do vow not to shy away from publishing things that "expose" me. that make me vulnerable. that make me human. by doing so, i hope that more will follow and that we can create a community of friendship & support. a place where we feel comforted not vulnerable. where we can undertake this journey together, not alone.

1 comment:

AH said...

You're braver than I am--my blog is only accessible to 3 people--and everytime I get ready to make it public I stop again. Hopefully I'll get courage from reading you!!