Friday, July 20, 2007

Fashion & Falling Off The Wagon

in a tragic turn of events, i've found that my usual shopping habits have been stunted this season by an alarming new trend in fashion. it seems that no matter which store i enter, which department i look in (womens, jrs, misses) i am confronted with the terrifying reality that maternity fashion has infiltrated mainstream fashion.

now let me further explain myself. it seems that every shirt this season is designed with an empire waist that sits uncomfortably under the bust, are decorated with ribbons, bows, and flowers (oh my) or have large blocks of a solid color that that point out womanly assets such as the bosom & stomach. and in all of these respects, these shirts fail miserably in saying "i'm whore to fashion" but instead scream "i will be giving birth in 5 months or less"

empire waists are designed to show off new found boobs that have come with a pregnancy.
in general flowers, ribbons and wrap around bows have always conveyed a sense of innocence and have always been a staple to maternity fashion - saying "i'm pregnant, but i didn't do the naughty to get that way".
and as for blocks of color, they effectively point out the attention-getting parts of a pregnant woman's body. there might as well be a label across the stomach that says insert baby belly here.

as much as i despise this style, i do have a confession to make. i have fallen. once. only once, mind you, and have bought a shirt that could be interpreted as a maternity shirt. i had realized my mistake when i tried it on for N and his reaction was less than enthusastic:
"huh. ok." he looked at me rather confused and i saw in his eyes the fear that i had forgotten to take my birth control.
"not your favorite?" i asked.
"not my favorite." he said.

now i was left with the dilemma of having a brand new shirt in my closet and having to find a way to redeem it from maternity shirt to icon of fashion. i tapped my fingers agains the closet door as i stared at it with its empire waist, solid blocks of black and printed fabric against the stomache. red, i thought. sassy, sensational red. red jewelry. and defiant 3 inch red heels that say if i topple down the stairs i won't be fearful of loosing a baby.

- currently listening to: 4 in the morning/gwen stefani/the sweet escape -

2 comments:

chinadoll said...

babydoll dresses were really popular when I was a freshman in high school. Fortunately, there are few pictures of me wearing mine.

AH said...

I kid you not, I saw 3 young 20's chickies walk into the restaurant together last night, all wearing babydoll tops, and I immediately thought, "How sweet, they're going out for dinner after Lamaze class!" and then they ordered drinks...hmmmm, do you think they would have wanted to know that their tops made them look, gasp, PREGNANT???!!?!?!?